Thursday, October 24, 2013

"XBOX", please make me a cup of tea...

Ok, Ok, my xbox can't make me a cup of tea (yet!). I recently came across a nifty feature of xbox+kinect PLUS voice command capability. This combo translates to a fully handsfree REMOTE!

First I wanted to apologize for being absent for almost 3 weeks now....we had a baby! Everyone is doing well and finally I am getting back to reality.

So, when I was looking at putting a TV in our bedroom for my breastfeeding wife who will probably spend 80% of her time for the next few months in the room, I had planned on putting an old laptop rigged up with wifi, HDMI and optical out for audio. Remember, we don't have cable TV, so I need the laptop to stream video (live TV with Mohu Leaf wasn't going to work at 3am!). This worked, but a huge mess with wires and remotes and having to use a mouse to run the laptop etc. I think my wife would just be better off with a kindle...

Then BAM! I remembered I had an XBOX 360 in the living room (from this comment, I think you can guess when was the last time I used the XBOX). ANYWAY, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the xbox can stream hulu, netflix a few other online sites. I also had a XBOX live membershop card that wasn't activated :-)
I hooked everything up in the bedroom, turned out quite neat since there are minimal wires (just HDMI to the TV) and Kinect wires are hidden behind the TV anyway. Booted it up, spent the next 45 minutes logging in, getting setup with a live account, updates etc.With Kinect, you can use hand gestures, which worked just OK for me, maybe the lighting in the room wasn't enough or something, but also not truly "handsfree" since you still have to use your hands. While fiddling with the xbox software, I found a neat little feature called "VOICE COMMANDS". You just say "XBOX" and it wakes up and asks for more commands. It gives you a choice of certain letters and words to use which are highlighted on the screen. You can then say things like "Apps", "Hulu" and best part is that the commands work inside the apps as well. You can say things like, "Shows I watch", "Greys Anatomy", "Play most recent" etc....

And why is the useful? Well, if you are carrying, handling, rocking, feeding a newborn, the last thing you want to do is fiddle with a handheld remote. I think this is a great way to automate an age old problem of using remotes. Of course, some newer TVs have similar features built in, but who wants to spend $2000 on a new top end TV? If you have an XBOX 360+Kinect, just need to get the Live membership (obviously not free!) and start using your voice!

PS: Once my wife started using this in the last few weeks...her words "One of the best ideas you have had!". So, there you have it, proven and approved by a mother (and most importantly my wife!).

Love to hear what other nifty ideas you have to help new mothers, leave a comment!

-Kannan


No comments:

Post a Comment