Saturday, September 21, 2013

What? More monitors???

Baby #2 is almost here, so as you can image, I've been spending a lot of time getting prepped. It is amazing how fast you forget things. Ram and I seem to have an obsession to cut cords and monitor things remotely :-)

I will make this one short, do you need a baby monitor? Answer: Yes. Do you need one that has a camera? Answer: Yes. Why with camera? Because you can and since technology has really taken root in this nifty gadget.


I do believe they are quite pricey, but there are just too many options. I kinda tripped over one when our first son was born. It was by a brand called Levana. I forget how I found it, but glad I did. Some typical features I suggest looking for:
1. IR capable so that you can see images at night
2. Digital wireless connection (for privacy)
3. 2.4in or larger screen on the receiver
4. Easy mount for the camera incase you need to clip it to a bookshelf.
5. VOX (See below)- Levana's charm!
6. Temperature monitor


The most nifty feature is the VOX feature (at least that's what they call it). It is a feature that will only turn on the screen if the sound is sharp and loud. So, when the baby is turning around, breathing heavy, slight ruffles etc, NOTHING happens. You may think this is what you need to hear, trust me, you don't! You want the system to engage with the child screams, starts talking, falls off the bed etc! I have only found this feature in Levana products (BabyView20 and Jena). I still have the BabyView20 (had it for 3 years) and just upgraded to Jena with two camera for Baby #2. Quality is ok, had to get a few Babyview20 replaced on warranty due to usage issues, but I really like the product, particularly for this VOX feature, which is also called PEEP. And key feature to note, it is multi-voltage, we take it along wherever we are going...UK, Malaysia etc.

Anyway, I am probably rambling now, just getting ready for the sleepless nights coming up. If you have any suggestions for better monitors, please leave a comment! I am sure others would like to hear your stories!

-Kannan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment